For all our community kitchen people that normally fill Norlane Community Centre on Fridays with wonderful smells, we’ve created a special cooking video to share with you.
The video runs for 1 hour and takes you through a family slow cook with tips and visits to our garden for herbs. Nathan (who will be re-living his community kitchen days from Cloverdale CC) and Esther hope you enjoy catching up with us. Scroll down for recipe.
Nathan’s Base Slow cook stew
Gravy beef (OR chuck steak, chicken pieces, lamb off cuts, ox tail)
Herbs and Spices:
Cumin, minced garlic, salt/pepper (OR Chilli, mustard seed, turmeric, Chinese five spice, ginger, Cinnamon nutmeg, curry, paprika)
Rosemary, thyme, bay leaves (OR Woody herbs/spices -Star anise)
Parsley, sage (OR Soft leaved herbs – marjoram, basil, coriander, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil)
1-2 tablespoons Flour (OR Rice Flour or other types of flour that will coat meat)
Fish Sauce/Shrimp paste (OR Anchovies, Worchester sauce)
Butter (OR olive oil, margarine, ghee, coconut oil any vegetable or nut oil)
1 tin canned tomato (OR Tomato – paste, fresh, sauce, or even pasta sauce)
2 Celery (OR Carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, beetroot, potato, sweet potato, celeriac, turnip, tomato)
4-5 medium mushrooms
Stock (home-made see recipe) (OR Powdered stock, long-life stock, stock cubes)
- Cut meat into chunks or leave whole if it has bones.
- Toss in a mix of flour with cumin salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in the pan you will use for slow cooking.
- Slowly on a med heat, brown meat in batches and set aside
- Cut up celery onion mushroom (or/and other vegies)
- Brown the vegetables slowly to allow them to caramelise,
- When the cooked onions look clear with a brown tinge stir in the garlic and fish paste until the garlic browns
- Add mushrooms continue to cook until they are brown and soft
- Add the meat back into the pot
- Add enough stock to cover. (can add dried or tinned lentils or beans at this point)
- Cover with a lid and put into oven at 150c for 2-3 hours or if using stove top bring to the boil, turn to low simmer and cover 2-3 hours.
- Remove lid. If too much liquid, reduce the sauce it by continuing to cook until it is thick enough.
Serve with either buttered noodles, mashed potato, rice or carb friendly buttered ribbon zucchini.